Wiregrass schools ranked top in the state for college readiness
GENEVA COUNTY, Ala. (WTVY) - Four Wiregrass school districts and two schools are being recognized for their ability to set their students up for success, post high school.
AL.com released a report on college and career readiness for the high schools in Alabama. Geneva County School District ranked first in the state.
Geneva County High School was one of nine schools with a perfect score, meaning all seniors this year had at least one college or career readiness indicator.
Career Tech Director BT Hinson says this has been an area of focus for the district for a while, after earning below desired percentages a few years ago.
“We’ve done a lot in the last three to four years to really push more programs that we can involve our students in that aren’t necessarily college bound programs, but we can expose our students to the workforce and different careers that they’re interested in,” said Hinson. “We all know that if we have a student that’s interested in something, they’re more likely to obtain it and so we’re trying to find what drives them.”
Readiness scores are based on several indicators. Students can get an indicator for reaching certain test scores, dual enrollment, completing career tech education courses, joining the military and more.
98.3% of GCHS seniors earned at least one indicator this year.
“I’d say over a third of the graduating class has gained multiple career readiness indicators,” said Ashley Sanders, principal of GCHS. “This class has also achieved almost $1.9 million in scholarships as well. so, this has been an extremely successful class and we’re going to be sad to see them leave, but man, they have been impressive.”
As the bulldog seniors walk at graduation Tuesday night, the county, school staff and students can reflect on a record-breaking year.
“It’s nice to see that when you work hard, and you believe in something that good things happen,” said Sanders. “I preach that all the time and it’s just nice to see that. I can’t tell you how proud I am of our students and our staff and faculty here.”
Kinston School of Coffee County also earned 100% college and career readiness for this year’s seniors.
Alabama considers a student is college or career ready if students graduate having attained one or more of the following accomplishments:
- A benchmark score on the ACT college entrance exam,
- A qualifying score of three or higher on an Advanced Placement exam,
- A qualifying score of four or higher on an International Baccalaureate exam,
- Earning college credit while in high school,
- Earning silver or gold status on the ACT WorkKeys exam,
- Completing an in-school youth apprenticeship program,
- Earning a career technical industry credential listed on the compendium of valuable credentials of the Alabama Committee on Credentialing and Career Pathways,
- Attaining career and technical education completer status, or
- Being accepted into a branch of the military before graduation
Here’s a look at the 20 Alabama school districts that had the largest percentage of their seniors graduate with one or more college or career ready indicators, according to information from the Alabama State Department of Education.
- Geneva County - 98.3%
- Satsuma City - 98.1%
- Opp City - 97.6%
- Thomasville City - 97.5%
- Gulf Shores City - 97.1%
- Cullman County - 96.9%
- Arab City - 96.7%
- Coffee County - 96.4%
- Roanoke City - 96.3%
- Winfield City - 96.3%
- Fort Payne City - 96.1%
- Hartselle City - 96.1%
- Russellville City - 95.5%
- Geneva City - 95.1%
- Mountain Brook City - 95.1%
- Bibb County - 95%
- Piedmont City - 94.7%
- Dale County - 94.5%
- Covington County - 93.9%
- Alabaster City - 93.6%
Nine Alabama schools graduated 100% of their students college or career ready:
- Cedar Bluff High School - Cherokee County
- Kinston School - Coffee County
- Geneva County High School - Geneva County
- Cold Springs High School - Cullman County
- Holly Pond High School - Cullman County
- Ragland High School - St Clair County
- Loveless Academic Magnet Program - Montgomery County
- New Century Technology High School - Huntsville City
- Oak Grove High School - Jefferson County
For more information on school rankings click here.
Subscribe to our News 4 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning. Get instant notifications on top stories from News 4 by downloading our mobile apps.
Copyright 2023 WTVY. All rights reserved.